New Zealand – a place of wonders

New Zealand – a place of wonders

New Zealand is a paradise on Earth – a place with long coastlines, untouched beaches, spectacular mountain scenery, magnificent lake views and world-class hiking trails. And this is just a small part of the country’s wonders, see what else you can find traveling around the islands:


The wildlife of New Zealand is incredible

There are so many things you will be surprised to learn about the wildlife in the country, such as the fact that New Zealand is home to the world’s only flightless parrot, the kakapo; the kiwi is another flightless bird which has also become a national symbol – most New Zealanders call themselves kiwis. Another interesting fact about New Zealand’s wildlife is that bats are the only native mammals on the islands and the rest were introduced to these lands by Maoris and Europeans.


New Zealand has the highest animals to human ratio

New Zealand’s population of 4,885,300 people make up 5% of the country’s human population, the remaining 95% are animals.

3 official languages

There are three official languages in the country – English, Maori and New Zealand sign language.


The country has one of the lowest corruption levels in the world

For years New Zealand and Denmark occupy the first two places in the ranking for least corrupt countries. In 2016 and 2017 New Zealand was in the first place, but after dropping its score with a single point in 2018, the islands took second place in the ranking for the least corrupt public sectors and judiciaries in the world.

128 km is the farthest you could be from the sea

Wherever you are in New Zealand, you will be close to the sea. The islands cover an area of 268,021 km2and there is no place in the country farther than 128 km from the sea.


Natural glowing caves

The glowing caves in Waitomo are inhabited by glowworms, which are glowing through bioluminescence. These glowworm species are found exclusively in New Zealand.


The longest place name belongs to a hill in New Zealand

Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahuis the name of a hill in New Zealand. The 85 characters name came from the Maori language – an Eastern Polynesian language spoken by the Maori people, who are the indigenous population of New Zealand. The name of the hill is translated as “Тhe place where Tamatea, the man with the big knees, who slid, climbed and swallowed mountains, known as the land-eater, played his nose flute to his loved ones”.

New Zealand’s landscape is a place from fairytales

New Zealand’s fairytale landscape is the place where the Lord of the Ringstrilogy was filmed. There are 150 real locations used for key scenes in the movies. Don’t hesitate to visit them.